Saturday, February 21, 2009

Oscar Buzz... Is it worth it?

Let me start out by saying that I absolutely love this year's crop of movies. Almost every single one of them deserves an Oscar for Best Picture Nominee. The only problem is that this year each one is against one another. I just wish these movies came out at different years so that they could get the respects that they all deserve.

Here is my fantasy Oscar Award Winners:

Best Pic: Slumdog Millionaire (even though every one of them deserve it). I love Danny Boyle and all of his films. From what he did with Sunshine (one of my favorite movies of all time) and 28 Days Later, he did nothing but live up to the expectations. Thank you Danny for creating another masterpiece. I cannot wait to see your other films. The editing was amazing, the music was superb, the acting was...well (o.k, but that is why the actors were not up for Best Actors/Actresses). Other then the acting the movie was amazing, and I honestly walked out the theater with butterflies, that was how impressed I was.

Best Actor: This one is a tough one fore me. I loved Frost/Nixon and I truly believe that Frank Langella did an amazing job playing the role of Richard Nixon. But, I would have to give the award to Mickey Rourke. I will probably say the phrase "I loved this movie, or this part" over 25 times in this blog, but it is because each movie touched me in a different way. Mickey Rourke's part literally made me sad and almost made me tear up in a weird "guy" type of way. Besides the fact that he looks like a wrestler, I felt bad for "The Ram". This peice of acting is Oscar worthy and I think it is Mickey's turn to get a slice of the Oscar Pie. I just hope he gives his fans a better acceptance speech than he did at the Golden Globes.

Best Supporting Actor: Obviously Heath Ledger, even though he could have gotten a Lead Role, but after all it has "Batman" in the title and not "The Joker". This performance will be remembered forever, and he will also be.

Best Actress: Kate Winslett should win this even though I feel her part was better in "Revolutionary Road" than "The Reader". Oh well, not my awards ceremony I am just a spectator.

Best Animated: Wall-E... I honestly loved this movie! Even though it was a cartoon or an animated movie, it was great. The fact that there was no speaking hardly was a little bit hard to swallow, but the movie was just awesome and so cute (eww did I really just say that?)

To be honest, I could go through every other category and name off who should win but here is my list of must see movies and overrated movies of this year:

Great-
Slumdog Millionaire
Frost/Nixon
The Wrestler
In Bruges
The Dark Knight
Wall-E
Wanted (Entertaining to say the least)

Decent-
Defiance
Revolutionary Road (Great acting though)
The Reader
Milk (I could not get over Sean Penn and James Franco making out... sorry)
Hellboy 2

Overrated-
The Curious Case of Benjamin Button (Not that good... It was ok, but def. not best pic.) I just did not come out of the theater with anything to show... No emotion of hatred nor amazement, just Eh.
The Reader

I guess we will just have to see how my predictions pan out tomorrow night... I will blog a little bit during the show tomorrow because the award ceremonies are SOOOOO DAMNNNN BORING!!!!!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment